Flat Stanleys came to our class

Our 2nd picture with the Flat Stanleys

Friday, August 27, 2010

Welcome to the FNED 346 Blogging Adventure

Sometime before September 9, you will set up youre own blog to use this semester for all your Talking Points assignments and to keep track of your thoughts about any of the issues we cover.

A blog is your very own personal online journal. It is public, in that I and your classmates can read it and comment on it, but it is your space and you can control most of it. (If you want to make it private so that "only" members of this class can read it, we will figure out how to do that together.)

In the context of this course, your blog has two purposes:

1. )Your blog will provide a space for you to keep all of your Talking Points Assignments over the course of the semester together. You will not hand in written assignments to me each week; rather you will post them on your blog. In this sense, your blog is merely your assignment notebook that you will use as you read and prepare for class each week. You will also be posting any additional thoughts you have: responses to class discussion, after thoughts, things you forgot to say in class, relevant experiences you have, reflections about your service learning assignment as they relate to the readings.

2) Creating your own blog will also introduce you to the blogisphere if you do not know this place already. I hope that you will discover creative educational uses for this online medium. You will see how easy it is to use blogger.com and perhaps it will inspire you to bring blogs into your own classroom someday.

To start your own blog, you will go to:
http://www.blogger.com

The big orange box at the top right of the page will direct you to creating your own blog on a site called blogspot.com. Follow the instructions to open up a free account. Do not forget your Username and Password!! You will need them to login every time.

As you fill in the information, you will be asked to name your blog. This title will appear at the top of your blog. (Mine is called FNED 346-11.

Then you need to choose an address:

http://__________________.blogspot.com
 
This will be the web address associated with your site. You can call it anything you like. Be clever or simple (or both) - it is up to you.

You will also need to chooose a design template  for your blog. Look through the options listed and see what appeals to you. You can change this later and can even find fun, creative templates at sites like PYZAM,  Once you have the account set up, you can start posting. A "posting" is an entry on your blog. (For clarification, you can have one blog, but many postings.) Give the post  a title and then compose as you would any journal entry. When you are finished, hit the button at the bottom that says Publish Post. It will not appear on your blog until you publish it. You can always go back and edit old posts and create new ones. 

Your First Post
Your first post should be a short introduction to you: who are your,m how your semester is going so far, what do you do when you are not in class, etc. (Just a short paragraph -no big deal). You will post the rest of the entries as they are due (see course syllabus for dates), or whenever you have something to say! 

When you are done creating your site and posting your first entry please come back to this blog and, at the end of my first posting (scroll down), post a comment that includes your blog address so that I can post it in the link list to the right.

Some Tips and Helpful Hints
Once you are in your blog, look at the top right hand corner of the screen. If you click on the word CUSTOMIZE, you will be able to make design changes,m create new posts, edit old posts, etc. (You can only do that if you are logged in to your blog.)  
Once you are in the CUSTOMIZE screen, you can do all kinds of things to make your blog a bit more interesting. Change your fonts and colors, edit a post, change your settings. See the tabs at the top of the screen for all kinds of options. 

Poke around online and make a list of websites related to education, diversity, social justice or anything else relevant and post them on your blog. You can add all kinds of things by ADDING A GADGET from your LAYOUT tab. 
Just do the best you can with this. If you get stuck, don't fret...I am happy to help you anytime as you work on getting started. Send me an email, come see me in office hours, or grab me after class. And remember: you can't break it. It is just a blog. Everything can be changed if need be!

Good Luck!
JS:)   

27 comments:

  1. http://fned346fall2010a.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://kaylabear114.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://sawyerks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Stevos:
    Well, I thought I did this already and opened up my blog with a little about myself, but I don't see my name anywhere on here so maybe it didn't post. Like some of you I have having difficulty with this new technology. So if anyone wants to help me set up a design for my blog and show me how this works, I would really appreciate it. The blackboard, the blog and the RIC e-mail are really confusing me as well. Where do I Post WHAT!!!! Have a great day all. Thanks Lynn Stumpff

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Dr. Stevos, this is Brian from your class. Here is my blog address http://briansblogforfnedclasstime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Stevos
    This is Vanessa from class. I think I finally managed to figure this out. Here is my adress http://bobobubbles.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    vanessa Blanchette

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://karissaarone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! This is Jackie, I have created a new blog and this one seems to be working! Sorry for the previous confusion!
    Http://jackiegonnellifned346.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello! This is Maribel, I made up another blog since the first one you couldn't display.I hope this one works. http://www.mpedroza8815.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. And here is wher to find me
    http://kendizzle40.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont think you ever added me... I am at http://karissaarone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Professor, I hope this posts right this time :) My blog address is http://asullivan0684fall2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I think I finally figured this out! I believe my home address is mferreira20.blogspot.com. If It doesn't work, I will show you in class. I will see you tomorrow morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://amandafned.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how it happened, but I managed to delete my blog! Here's a the new blog I had to create:
    http://ksssawyer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally I figured out how to do this!!! heres my blog site: http://agsmith3693.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. finally figured this out.... my blog site http://meggomac.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I FINALLLY GOT THIS =) =D ...... my blog site is http://stephaniesc1991.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. ok i think this one should work its not google. http://megmac1012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete